Monday, January 26, 2009

a trip vs a cruise

from journal Jan 23, a more philosophical post:

I first met Queen Victoria [the ship] on January 10th and was teary-eyed for some reason. Maybe it was her sheer size or the extravagance of boarding her to go around the world. Of the thousands of people on board, I knew not one. It took awhile for us to bond - the ship and I - almost two weeks, in fact. But suddenly I was attached [and understood those folks on board who sail again and again]. Maybe it was the crazy feeling on the exercise bike way up on the 9th deck above the bridge when you could feel like you were part of the force moving forward over the sea. Maybe it was the realization that it was her or nothing - no land, no other ships, not even planes above. Whatever it was, it happened. Now my ship and I are but a few ports from heading out together into the open Pacific. Port stops for touring seem almost an interruption in what we have set out to do.

Admittedly I am just a small part of this vast moving world - this village on the sea. And, traveling alone, I am only beginning to connect with others, though now I feel well connected to my Queen. In places we are alone together, she and I, apart from the noises of the restaurants, the theatre, or the ballroom. In the library and most places I must usually share her. I don’t mind sharing, really, and gradually I am building connections with others, a web that grows with every communal meal, tour, and event. What a fascinating group of people.

I leave the ship somewhat reluctantly to visit the lands she brings me to and gladly climb aboard again. She is now my home, my stable but never still base, taking me to new places and new thoughts.

The sea is another partner in this voyage, holding us both. There is no beginning and no end to the sea. We name portions of it but it is not ours to confine or command. Because it resists us, we can move forward. The sea and the ship respect each other.

PS: Does a bird ever tire of flying?

3 comments:

Marta said...

I loved reading your entry today! So poetic and descriptive. Thanks for sharing the blog info. May calm seas, warm weather, and friendly smiles bless your day today.

Deanna said...

Lois, I can see the writer in you blossoming as you are inspired by both the wonders of nature and also the man made wonder of your beautiful temporary home. We have been sailing with you via the web cam. I am in awe of what you are experiencing and just a little envious! We wish you fair winds and following seas on all the days of your magnificent voyage. Love, Deanna (We had a lovely snow last evening and awoke to woods blanketed in white. More snow is on the way for tonight. Andrea and the girls are with us for a few days. Dean left last evening on a non-stop 12 hour flight to Qatar. He is supposed to return to the USA sometime in March.)

Jane Shull said...

Your relationship with the ship is co-dependence, of the survival kind, Lois. At least, that's how I think I'd experience it. The endless sea compresses the bonding. Can you imagine how much closer we would all feel on this earth if we were more aware of the vastness of space all around us?

The interruption of the ports of call makes perfect sense to me...like a phone call in the middle of a fascinating conversation with a new acquaintance.

It will be interesting to see what people connections you make that last beyond the voyage.