Thursday, April 23, 2009

Queen Mary 2

On the Queen Mary 2, about half way across the Atlantic (1500 miles traveled, 1700 to go). Have a few QV friends sharing this crossing, and we’ve already managed to get together. Some things about the QM2 are great - like the teak decks, and some things suffer in comparison to the QV - like the Spa. Believe it or not, I prefer the QV spa to the Canyon Ranch Spa here. The gym and trainers aren’t as good as the QV and the beauty spa is outrageously expensive. More later.

Meanwhile, we were enjoying a sunny, reasonably calm trip until last night when the waves picked up to “rough.” Still relatively smooth trip. Before we got past Cornwall, England, they had to evacuate an ill passenger and did so via helicopter. Aside from that the trip has been uneventful. I did win a golf tournament (70 yard shot on the golf simulator), which bodes well for my summer fun. Warm enough to sit out on my deck for a while yesterday. I’m traveling POSH - an expression that comes from long ago trips from England to India, when the desired cabin assignments (for shade) were “port side out, starboard home.” I think that would apply for a transatlantic trip from England to America because the port side is the sunny side on the way west and starboard has the sun on the way back.

Seems like a very short trip - only Monday evening to Sunday morning - hardly time to get to know the ship, but I’m doing my best and walking miles! Will be ready to dig in to politics and marketing Dear Coach on Monday morning.

No comments: